Bradford - City of Culture
Inspired by a rich and diverse cultural history the City of Bradford in the heart of West Yorkshire's Bronte Country put forward a bid to be considered for the title of European "City of Culture" back in 2008 and again for the title in 2025 too.
Having produced many famous authors (from the Bronte sisters to J.B. Priestley and more contemporary writers such as John Braine and the poet Joolz), classical music composers such as Delius, singers and musicians such as Kiki Dee, Gareth Gates, Kimberley Walsh, the magician and illusionist Dynamo and of course David Hockney (arguably the world's greatest living artist), the City of Bradford has already made significant contributions to the literary, musical and visual arts at the international level.
Being home to Britain's National Science and Media Museum, the Peace Museum and the Bronte Birthplace in Thornton (besides a wide range of other museums, art galleries and theatres), the city has much to offer the eager "culture vulture" - whether interested in the historical perspective or a more contemporary theme.
Special events include the The Bradford Dragon Boat Festival, the Bradford Festival, the Bradford Literature Festival, the Bradford Science Festival, the Ilkley Literature Festival (which is held in nearby Ilkley), the Bingley Show, the Saltaire Festival, the Saltaire Arts Trail, the Bradford Mela and the World Curry Festival,.
Although not making it to the final shortlist for 2008, Bradford's continually thriving arts scene and its diverse multicultural influences position the city as a worthy contender for the title to be "City of Culture" in 2025.
Other Bradford district websites and arts related web pages
- Bradford (general information about the city and its surrounding area)
- Saltaire Village (a UNESCO designated world heritage site)
- Thornton Village (where the Brontes lived and wrote their classic novels)
- Haworth 1940s Weekend
- Haworth Festival
- Thornton (where the Brontes were born)
- Bronte Country (general information about the local area)
- Saltaire Arts - arts and artists in Saltaire
- Saltaire Arts Trail - event held annually in Saltaire
- Saltaire Festival - event held annually in Saltaire
- The Yorkshire Dales (the city's nearby national park)
- The North York Moors and the Yorkshire Coast (further afield, but still worth a visit !)
[N.B. Please mention the Eagle Intermedia Bronte Country website when making your enquiries.]