The following information and photograph has been supplied by Kirklees Council Museum and Galleries Service:
Oakwell Hall was built as an Elizabethan manor house in 1583 and is now furnished as a family home in the 1690s, offering visitors a real insight into a post English Civil War household. The Hall is set in a beautiful Green Flag award winning Country Park with delightful period gardens, a nature trail, café, shop and play area.
A boarding school was in residence when Charlotte Brontë visited in the 1830s. She had been a pupil at Roe Head School near Mirfield, where she made two very close friends: Ellen Nussey of Birstall and Mary Taylor of Gomersal. At the time of Charlotte’s visits, Ellen Nussey’s cousins - Hannah Cockhill and her daughters - ran a girls’ school on the premises and it would seem likely that Charlotte visited with Ellen. The visits obviously made a strong impression on Charlotte and in her novel "Shirley", Oakwell Hall became "Fieldhead" - the home of the heroine. 'If Fieldhead had few other merits as a building,' she wrote, 'it might at least be termed picturesque, its irregular architecture and the grey and mossy colouring communicated by time, gave it a just claim to this epithet. The old latticed windows, the stone porch, the walls, the roof, the chimney stacks were rich in crayon touches and sepia lights and shades.'
- Nine consecutive Green Flag Awards
- Sandford Award for Heritage Education
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2011, 2012 & 2013
- Yorkshire in Bloom Gold Award 2012 & Silver Gilt Award 2011 & 2010
In nearby Gomersal is Red House - which provided the inspiration for "Briarmains" in the novel "Shirley".
Opening Times and Admission
Summer Opening Hours (1st March – 31st October 2016):
- Open: Tuesday to Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday & Sunday from 12 noon to 5 p.m.
- Closed: Mondays and Fridays
- Adults £2.50
- Children £1.00
- Family £6.00
There is also an excellent value Joint Annual Ticket offering unlimited admission for one year to both Red House and Oakwell Hall costing just:
- Adults £6.00
- Children £2.50
- Family £14.50
The Country Park is open every day of the year.
For further information and group booking enquiries, please contact:
Tel: +44 (0)1274 326240
- Website: http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/museums
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oakwell-Hall-Country-Park/196358837025
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/OakwellHall
[Please mention the Eagle Intermedia Bronte Country website when making your enquiries.]